Monday, February 13, 2017

Blog Assignment #2


I think I'd like to refine my idea and talk about the gender divide in commuting to college in my final paper. I think it will be especially interesting for me since I have a twin sister who also commutes to school.

I'm having some trouble locating reliable sources on this specific subject. I can find a lot of resources about the advantages and disadvantages of commuting but none are gender specific. It did say that commuting students spend more time taking care of dependents or working as opposed to students who live on campus which explains the weaker engagement to school. I also found a pbs article that states that women receive a much higher amount of stress from commuting than men do.

The article entitled, "The Disengaged Commuter Student: Fact or Fiction?" from Indiana University has a break down of the percentage of students that commute based on gender and age and if the work or take care of younger siblings which I think could be helpful in my final paper. 

Some additional issues that seem important to my topic seem to be the distance you are commuting. Most studies seem to indicate that if you live further from school you will be less inclined to use school resources. This also interests me because my commute takes between 45 minutes to an hour so I would be interested to learn about this. Another thing that is often talked about is that less affluent students commute more to school than more affluent students. I am curious to see if there are any articles about twins being more likely to commute to college due to the cost since my family could of easily sent me away to college if we didn't have to go to school at the same time. 

http://www.nsse.indiana.edu/pdf/commuter.pdf - this is a link to the paper breaking up the percentage of commuting students from IU, which shows that commuting students work more/ take care of siblings more.

The Disengaged Commuter Student: Fact or Fiction? - NSSE
This link breaks down the percentages of male and female commuters but only shows that commuters take care of siblings more or work

College Living Environments and Stress: Commuters Versus On ...
This link shows that students who live at home have an easier time dealing with the stressors of college classes because they do not have to get acclimated to a new environment

Basically the debate is split up that it is equally advantageous as it is disadvantageous to commute to school. I think I would like to focus on the advantages and show how each gender has a easier/harder time benefiting from commuting to college.

No comments:

Post a Comment